Learn how to make pork/chicken cutlet rice bowl (katsudon).
- 1 slice of pork/chicken cutlet
- 1/4 onion
- 2 eggs
- 50 mL (3 tbsp) of water
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of sake/white wine
- 1 tsp of dashi (stock powder)
- 1 tsp of sugar (or to your liking)
- 1 tbsp of mirin (if you have any)
1. Cut the cutlet into bite size strips. Prepare pork or chicken cutlet. Usually it’s more common to use pork, but you can use chicken instead, depends on your preference.
2. Cut onion into thin slices.
3. Beat the eggs in a bowl.
4. Heat the frying pan and add water, soy sauce, dashi (stock powder), sake or white wine, and sugar. If you have any add mirin as well. If you don’t like it too sweet, you don’t have to add both mirin and sugar. Adjust the amount to your liking.
5. Bring the sauce to boil and add sliced onion. Simmer on medium heat for few minutes.
6. Add cutlet and pour eggs over the cutlet and onions. Cook until the egg is half cooked, or to your liking.
7. Once cooked, serve it on top a bowl of steamed rice. Enjoy!!